DONNA'S DECEMBERSHOMEABOUTMESHOPCROCHET READSSTYLE BLOGSCURRENTLY READINGCONTACT

February 21, 2011

The truth...

I have been re-watching older seasons of Mad Men as I have been trying to get some of my friends from work into it. While I know it's really difficult to pick out a favorite episode or scene, I think I have finally figured it out. Although season 4 is my favorite season, by far, I do think that Season 2 episode 6 is one of the best. In this episode Paul Kinsey presents the idea that every woman wants to be either a Marilyn or a Jackie. the firm whips up this incredible advertisement to pitch to the Playtex team:

Marilyn_jackie.copy_large

When I think about modern celebrities and lifestyle, I don't think we have moved very far from women "wanting" (and I use that term very loosely) to be a Jackie or a Marilyn. Personally, I am more of a Jackie than a Marilyn. In personality and dress, I am much more conservative. Do you think we have modern stand-ins for Jackie or Marilyn? Who would they be?

So... Are we still living as Jackie or Marilyn?
Agree or Disagree?

1 comment:

  1. I think the modern equivalent might be Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie.

    ReplyDelete