DONNA'S DECEMBERSHOMEABOUTMESHOPCROCHET READSSTYLE BLOGSCURRENTLY READINGCONTACT

March 22, 2012

FiberPhiladelphia!

I've been craving girlfriend time like crazy recently. Maybe it's due to the changing of seasons and me being tired of being closed up, or maybe it's just because I don't see my girlfriends on a regular basis (probably the latter), but I have been trying to squeeze in as much friend time as possible.

My good friend Whitney, owner of The Muse in downtown Frederick, invited me on a day trip with her to Philadelphia and I was more than happy to tag along! Many of the FiberPhila events and exhibits are still underway through the end of this month (and even into early April), so if you're near by, you may want to make a day or weekend out of it! 

I'm a big fan of day trips in general, but this trip was extra special because it gave me the girlfriend time I needed, plus a healthy dose of inspiration for the spring and summer! Here's a look at our trip (and my thoughts regarding the show, too):

 
 

What do you think? My favorite exhibit was the one above that was curated on the theme of Mending = Art. There have been many times that my art has helped me mend myself. I think one could also argue that the process of mending a piece is also art unto itself, right? Maybe all art is mending and all mending is art?

Throughout all the exhibits I noticed a subversive trend regarding if craft could be interpreted as art. It's a great argument and one that I am constantly struggling with in my own life and work. Is crafting really an art? Has it always been or is it just now gaining said attention? Can we attribute the handmade revolution that has been sweeping our country throughout the last decade to this idea? Or has it been an art all along? 

What are your thoughts? I'd love to know!

xo,

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great post! Craft CAN be art. Art is intentional. Art presents something as something else. I think of it this way, I am studying a craft but I am making art. If you take a material & create from it something that speaks to others, something that makes them think, & something that represents something eles, if you use a visual language....its art!

    I am totally digging this post & the Lion Brand Studio post! You go girl :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Moe! That's so sweet of you.

      I agree 100% with what you said about crafting. It's so true that the process is crafting but the result is art. It's such an interesting conversation! I mean, if there's someone out there looking for a doctoral thesis regarding Arts & Crafts, this is the one for them! ha! ;)

      Delete