DONNA'S DECEMBERSHOMEABOUTMESHOPCROCHET READSSTYLE BLOGSCURRENTLY READINGCONTACT

December 1, 2011

Deck the Halls: Paper Snowflakes!


Typical November weather in Maryland is like a steep slide at the playground. You start up top in the low 60s/high 50s and by the end of the month, you're scraping 45 for a daily high. Not this year, though. Oh no. We have been hitting 70 degrees nearly every other day the entire month. Even though we had a pretty shocking snowstorm in October, there is zero snow in sight for us. It makes me a little sad to not see such a defined transition from fall to winter, but I'm hoping it is right around the corner!

One way to keep myself occupied and thinking about snow is by cutting out paper snowflakes! I know for many of you it is probably a tried and true tradition, or maybe if it isn't, you will start this year. I have visited a lot of tutorials for snowflake making and wanted to share with you the best of the best to ease the process for you!

For those of you who like step-by-step photographs, this tutorial from Hope Studios is easy-peasy.

My favorite tutorial for crafty and creative snowflakes is from Vintage Junky.
Paper snowflakes, paper snow flake how to

They offer a pretty cool (and easy to follow) pdf of many designs and shapes that, to me, are asthetically pleasing.

Tiffany Bird over at Simply Modern Mom put a different, more crafty and kid friendly spin on the paper snowflake by using polygons and swirls! I love the mod look of these paper snowflakes!
3 snowflakes

This easy-to-follow tutorial by Allison Gryski is pretty simple with beautiful results. She obviously has an eye for detail: cute!


I have seen this design popping up in local restaurants and shops as it has more of an artsy feel. I never realized how easy they would be to make, though! This tutorial from Cutoutandmake.com is so easy! I wonder how you could incorporate felt or fabric into a design like this? Hmm..
Completed Project: Beautiful Paper Snowflake Picture #2

And if you're looking to add a little paper snowflake cheer to your giftwrapping this season, How About Orange has you covered!


When was the last time you made a paper snowflake? It only takes about 5 minutes and I love how such a simple process totally transports you back into time! It's like being a kid again :)

xo,
Liz

p.s. Go here for more Deck the Halls posts!

3 comments:

  1. Loving all these different snowflake patterns! I think I want to try out a few this weekend since my Christmas decorations are kinda sparse this year due to wedding saving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow they are fanastic. My son is 5 yrs old now so I think I'm going to try and make some with him this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome!! i always have the hardest time trying to make snowflakes- so glad i found your blog post!!
    -kellie

    ReplyDelete