DONNA'S DECEMBERSHOMEABOUTMESHOPCROCHET READSSTYLE BLOGSCURRENTLY READINGCONTACT

April 21, 2011

Book Review: Bossypants by Tina Fey


As you know, I just started a full throttle journey back into reading. I was able to read The Help by Kathryn Sockett in only 4 days, and Tina Fey's new memoir, Bossypants, was an even quicker read and I want to tell you about it.

Originially, I thought the book would be mostly about her time spent as a writer for SNL and creator/actor/writer for 30 Rock, however, those chapters didn't come until later in the text. Fey begins her story describing her childhood growing up in a Philly suburb. She explains what it's like to not fit in, how her parents had butterfingers as they attempted to love and care for her without much direction or clue, and how she found her place in theatre.

Within the first few pages, I was laughing so hard I was in tears. Tina accounts for her experience at a summer camp for theatre kids where she finally found her niche among a crowd of gay kids. She continues to explain how this influenced her perception of people in her life who were outspoken about being anti-gay and how she dealt with her own realization when it comes to accepting people into her life that no one else would.

My favorite section of the book is when she's describing the writers of 30 Rock and begins to list out their MVP episode and MVP joke. As a person who loves 30 Rock, you realize that the show is completely written in Tina Fey's voice and is heavily influenced by her real life (a break down in the gynocologist office, bad break ups, etc.).

What I enjoyed most about this book is that you can honestly hear Tina Fey reading it to you. There was no ghostwiter here, folks. It is hilarious and honest, which pinpoints her personality (or what I assume to be her personality ;)).

I strongly recommend this book for you, as it would be the perfect gift for someone who isn't a "serious" reader, or something to get you through a road trip, vacation, or a day on the beach.

I hope you enjoy it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment