DONNA'S DECEMBERSHOMEABOUTMESHOPCROCHET READSSTYLE BLOGSCURRENTLY READINGCONTACT

March 7, 2012

Why I Love Downton Abbey

On New Years Eve 2009, Cory and I made a deal that one resolution we would like to make as a couple was "less TV." I'm sure you guys can sympathize that after a long day of work or a lazy weekend morning, the most inciting objects in the home is a comfy couch and a glowing TV. It's not that we even watched a lot of TV, we just wanted to re-direct our focus to books, music, and most importantly, each other. Within a few days of this new found resolution, I canceled our Comcast subscription and began life anew. Even though we did not have a cable subscription, we still received a few of the basic channels: NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX. This was plenty for us. Most of the programs I enjoy are on NBC, anyway. We still didn't watch much TV.

By the time we were about to embark on 2011, I reached a breaking point. It wasn't so much that I wanted cable, I just wanted something to entertain me, so we re-joined Netflix. Fortunately, my bridesmaids banned together and bought us a Wii as a wedding present (best wedding gift ever!), so we've been able to stream Netflix. I'm sure you knitters and crocheters can relate that you just need a good show on while you're working so you don't go crazy!

Fast forward to January 2012. Somehow Comcast caught wind of us having just 6 channels and decided that since we aren't sending them money for TV, just for internet service, they would eliminate those from our viewing pleasure.  I was miffed, but quickly realized that it was only fair. Now Cory and I were finally stripped down to only Netflix. This left us plenty entertained--Mad Men, 30 Rock, Sons of Anarchy, you name it. I was in a TV-but-not-really-TV paradise.

Just when I thought we were out of engrossing television series, it happened. Downton Abbey.

 

When I was a child my television was pretty restricted. It wasn't until 4th or 5th grade when I was allowed to watch more than the Disney channel or Anne of Avonlea.  In fact, there may or may not have been a time in the 2nd grade when my teacher called home and asked my mother, "Why does Elizabeth stand up and push in her chair when I ask her to answer a question?" and my mother had to reply, "Because that's what they did in the 1800s." 

So naturally, "Downton Abbey" is a great fit for my love of British literature and old school, but oh-so-good television. Now, I haven't been fortunate enough to participate in a Downton Abbey viewing party, but I dream of doing so.

I am so impressed by how developed the characters are aside from the gorgeous clothing and staging that takes place in the background. The juxtaposition between the royal family and their servants is fascinating to me. I enjoy hearing the gossip both downstairs and upstairs. Everyone's life is interesting--not jut the royals.

My favorite element of Downton Abbey is how accessible it all is. As an English major I had a lot of flexibility as far as genres and time periods I studied, however, once I got into the Education program, that choice became increasingly limited. It just so happened that I fell in love with a brilliant professor (Dr. Morrison) who taught British Literature. So I decided to take a lot of Brit Lit classes just so I could have her as my teacher--not because I was a die hard Brit Lit fan. So after suffering reading many of Jane Austen's texts as well as other turn of the century texts, I appreciate how accurate and easy the producers make this time period.

Jane Austen isn't hard when you're intrigued by the time period and I think Downton Abbey is just the thing to get people reading these classics again. Shows like this open our eyes and minds to a whole different world that took place before us, which I think is a great thing. I would also like to argue that without shows like this, we often forget about great authors like Austen and Dickens, only because they seem so trite and cliche (unfortunately). Since Downtown Abbey got it right, maybe people will find that British Literature isn't as bad as it sounds. At least that's what I'm hoping for!

  I was thinking about posting a collection of books that people who love Downton would also love. What do you think?

So, have you jumped on the Downton bandwagon or are you staying put in the 21st century? ;)

xo,

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I do the same thing! We only watch Netflix via the Wii. I like that we don't have tv to keep us distracted (though, I do admit to keeping it on random shows for background noise) and it saves us a lot of money. I also just discovered Downton Abbey! I am loving this show and definitely have jumped on the bandwagon! I absolutely love all of the BBC and PBS that Netflix has provided us with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alli--It is so nice to hear that we aren't the only ones! I can't believe how expensive cable is. Everytime I think I miss it, I just go and look up the prices. You are going to looooove Downton Abbey. It is such a good escape! Violet and Mary are my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete