DONNA'S DECEMBERSHOMEABOUTMESHOPCROCHET READSSTYLE BLOGSCURRENTLY READINGCONTACT

June 6, 2011

Graduation 2011

(These are the three books I bundled together with a very, very long and sentimental note to a special gal who was graduating this year. She holds a very special place in my heart and I hope these books provide her with endless dreams and goals.)

I really love graduation.
Beyond the rite of passage, it's a moment in time where the students feel truly accomplished. In fact, looking back, it is very hard to re-create such an authentic feeling of accomplishment throughout your life. Ya know? Last year, at the end of the graduation ceremony, I felt really pumped up and prepared to teach another year. The ceremony was more of a pep rally for the future than a tribute to saying goodbye. This year was a little different, a little more somber, as we had a student whom just lost his brother earlier in the week from a battle with cancer.

All that being said, I have a few photos to share with you. Some are from the local paper The Herald Mail, some are from my phone, and some are from students. It's just a nice moment for me to remember!



At my school, graduation is held in our school gym. We are one of very few schools within our district that still host graduation in our building.

And even though they are wildly uncomfortable, there is something special about the tradition of having to sit in these chairs (that many teachers, parents, and graduates have sat in before).

Highlights of South Hagerstown High School's graduation.
This year's Valedictorian, a family friend and member of the SGA board.

Highlights of South Hagerstown High School's graduation.
The Salutatorian, whom I taught as a 9th grader (4 years ago).

Highlights of South Hagerstown High School's graduation.Graduates lining up outside preparing to walk into the ceremony.

South High graduate Brittney Allen sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" during the opening of commencement Friday and received a huge round of applause.
Former student and SGA President singing the National Anthem... and rocking it, if I say so myself.

Me with a very special student. It was she that received the books!

Best wishes to you, Class of 2011.
Go out and do good work.

xo,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment