DONNA'S DECEMBERSHOMEABOUTMESHOPCROCHET READSSTYLE BLOGSCURRENTLY READINGCONTACT

June 27, 2011

Do you journal?


Last weekend, my stepfather and I threw my mother a surprise birthday party. Fortunately, when we were thinking about a location for this party, it was pretty easy to decide to go with my Aunt Susie's house. She lives in a turn of the century farm house that is surrounded by beautifully landscaped gardens. It's a paradise unto itself.

One thing I admire most about Aunt Susie is that at the end of every day, she journals. It may not be much, maybe a line or two, or maybe she writes pages upon pages, but that is how she ends her days. I remember staying at her house as a young girl, watching her journal, and wanting to do so myself.

The photo above is her collection of journals. I'm pretty sure each notebook represents a year, but I can't be too sure. Either way, that is quite a collection of memories and experiences!

My biggest issue with  journaling is finding the time. A lot of time I use blogging as my mode of journaling; a way of documenting my daily life, plus my love of fiber arts and crafts. However, I do wish I had more in print.

What do you think? Do you journal? If so, how often? Do you have a routine?

xo,
Liz

3 comments:

  1. I have been journaling semi-regularly for years. I go through spurts of doing it consistently every day for awhile and then spurts when I don't write at all. I used to wish I was more consistent with it but have come to accept that sometimes I'm just not going to want to write for awhile. I do try to fill those gaps with photo scrapbooking, blogging and other ways of marking the memories.

    Although I don't do it I did find appealing the suggestion in The Happiness Project to do a one-line daily journal. Seems like it would be a great meditative practice, way to note the little moments and method of identifying something poignant from each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually saw a journal at the bookstore that has every day of the year for the next 3 years and you're supposed to write down one sentence a day. I really like that theory... it's a nice way to reflect, as well. Interesting, stuff. I need to really muse over this concept for a while--but I like where it's headed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really wish I had time to journal everyday - I had an awesome creative writing class and English teacher in highschool, and we always had time everyday to write. :) It's so great for the soul, and I really love it. I write now when I go on vacation and when I'm having a bad day, but otherwise blogging is my daily writing fix - he he. Love it!

    ReplyDelete