DONNA'S DECEMBERSHOMEABOUTMESHOPCROCHET READSSTYLE BLOGSCURRENTLY READINGCONTACT

July 13, 2010

Donna's Decembers

Question: What is Donna's Decembers? What does that mean?

Good question! I realized I have never fully explained the name behind this blog and my shop.

I was taught how to crochet by my Grandmother, Donna when I was just 7 years old. She was such a fun, crafty, patient grandmother. She really was the best. We would spend summers together baking and playing around with big ideas that eventually led to projects! I really was inspired by how artistic she always seemed to be (although she really couldn't draw...haha).

My grandmother was diagnosed (for the second time) with lung cancer on December 15, 2008. This was two days before her 69th birthday and 15 years (almost to the day) since she had been diagnosed before. We were devestated. She continuously made the joke, "I should just change my birthday to June 7th! I am so tired of bad news in December!" As the only other person in the family with a December birthday, I felt a certain heart string being pulled everytime she made this casual joke. As we pushed through the next year of treatment and ups and downs, I would find crochet patterns that I thought she would enjoy. I would make her little pouches for her glasses (but she used it for her inhaler instead, ha), and anything else that I thought might put a smile on her face. She was always so happy when she saw what I was working on, and didn't understand how the internet had so many crochet patterns to offer (this still makes me laugh)!

Although my grandmother did not survive this attack of cancer, her energy really inspired me to take my passion of arts and crafting to the extreme.

I have named my blog and business Donna's Decembers in tribute to my grandmother and her incredible strength.




P.S. Don't forget to be a follower of my blog! This way as soon as I return from our honeymoon you can enter the giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment