Today's Deck the Halls post is all about pom-poms! Fun!
Over the last few years, pom-poms have become a holiday staple. Each year I see more innovative ways to use pom poms as gifts, accessories, and gift wrappings.
Today I want to share 4 ways you can incorporate pom-poms into your holiday! They're all pretty easy, so feel free to go grab a little helper!
- Use pom-pom makers to make whatever shapes and sizes of pom-poms you like. (Don't have pom-pom makers or don't know how to use them? Go here for a quick tutorial!)
- be sure to leave about a 5inch tail of yarn for each pom pom.
Now, let's turn them into something pretty!
- Make an array of pom-poms in whatever shapes and sizes you like best. I chose to make my pom-poms in traditional holiday colors: burgandy, green, and cream.
Pom-Pom Gift Wrap
Need to add a little cuteness to your wrapped gift?
Wrap your gift with your desired material.
- Take a long strand of yarn (to match the pom-pom or not) and fold it in half.
- Use the doubled-stand to wrap around your package.
- Continue to tie off the yarn as if you were tying a bow, but tie a regular square knot to secure the yarn.
- Use one of the extended strands of your pom-pom to go under the yarn on the package.
- Tie a square knot tightly (as if you were tying your shoes) and slide your pom-pom in place.
- Place your pretty package under the tree!
Pom Pom Statement Hair Piece
(This is my favorite! I can't wait to wear mine to a holiday party in a few weeks!)
For this project, you will need a small or medium sized barrette and 3 small pom poms (or enough to cover the barrette)
- Open the barrette and feed one of the pom-pom's yarns through the hole on the right side.
- Once you have it positioned closely to the barrette, tie two square knots to secure it in place.
- Follow the same instructions for the middle pom-pom, but instead of sliding the yarn through the hole, you are going to slide it through the middle barrette portion.
Follow the same instructions for the last pom-pom, but instead, slide the yarn through the last hole on the end.
Maybe you're not into statement pieces, but the idea of pom-poming your outfit is appealing. You can pom pom on a smaller scale by making one of these super-easy brooches!
You only need 1 pom-pom and 1 pin.
Feed one stand of yarn through each of the outer holes in the pin.
Slide the pin so it snugly fits against the pom-pom.
Tie square knots to secure the pom pom and pin together.
Cut the extra length of yarn off.
(*NOTE* You could always place a dab of hot glue to secure this even more)
Pin this brooch to your favorite sweater, cardigan, or bag. You could even clip this onto your gift packaging as well!
Want more pom-pom fun?
- Miss James from Bleubird Vintage made this adorable pom-pom wreath.
- Check out this cute pom-pom garland tutorial
- What about a pom-pom necklace? Chic, no?