DONNA'S DECEMBERSHOMEABOUTMESHOPCROCHET READSSTYLE BLOGSCURRENTLY READINGCONTACT

August 28, 2011

Oh hey.

Autumn leaves
photo via Guardian via Getty Images

The best feeling in the world for me is wanting to do work. It truly doesn't matter what the task at hand is, but when I'm inspired to roll up my sleeves and get to business, I think that is when I am at my happiest.

Since my last post, the world has been sort of crazy. Between the beginning of the school year at a new school (which is absolutely fabulous, btw), an earthquake, and a hurriance ravishing the eastern shore, my world has been full of distractions. I don't mind it, because distractions like these make life exteremly rich. They give us something to talk about, something to focus on, something to work on.

I cannot even tell you how the change in schools has rejuvinated my work ethic when it comes to teaching. My last two years teaching have been solely spent teaching a class alined with important state assessments. Because of the nature of the school I worked at, these tests really were the driving force day-in and day-out of my instruction and planning process. I didn't mind it at the time, but now that I am removed from that mentality, I am realizing how it thwarted my creativity.

Now that I am no longer teaching those classes, I am really enjoying creating lessons, finding resources, and truly wanting to educate my students so they are college ready. This semester I am teaching mostly seniors (with a handful of juniors, and a year-long class of freshmen). The senior class is called Studies in Composition and for all practical purposes, is a writing course. Essentially, it's the stepping stone between high school English and college. It's my job to get them writing and learning in a college style that is high school friendly. It's a challenge, but it is so fun having a new project to work on and think about all-the-time.

With that being said, I am feeling so happy to have found a new focus. It's rejuvinating and encouraging all at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to know that the experience at the new school is a positive one thus far!

    ReplyDelete